Perfectly charred tofu steaks, marinated in a gorgeous teriyaki sauce, using sauces from the Veg Voyage Sauce Recipe Kit, by SoVegan.
1 pack of tofu, pressed and sliced into ‘steaks’
150g jasmine rice, rinsed
1 pak choi, leaves separated and rinsed
1 tbsp Lee Kum Kee Mushroom Vegetarian Stir-Fry Sauce
1/2 tsp Lee Kum Kee Pure Black Sesame Oil
2 Tbsp Lee Kum Kee Teriyaki Sauce
1 Tbsp Lee Kum Kee Premium Light Soy Sauce
2 tsp maple syrup
1/2 lime, juice only
Pinch of sault
1 spring onion, chopped
1/2 red chilli, diced
1/2 tsp sesame seeds
1. Combine the marinade ingredients in a shallow dish. Add the tofu - coating it in the marinade - then cover and leave in the fridge for 2 hours.
2. Cook the rice as per the packet instructions.
3. Meanwhile, add 1 tsp of oil to a griddle pan on a medium heat. Cook the tofu steaks in the pan for 6 mins or so on each side or until the tofu is nicely charred.
4. Add 1 tsp of oil to a wok (or pan) on a medium-high heat. Add the pak choi and Mushroom Vegetarian Stir-Fry sauce and fry for 2-3 mins. Then stir in the sesame oil and remove the wok from the heat.
5. To serve, add the rice to a plate or bowl, top with the pak choi and tofu steaks (we like to slice them), then sprinkle over the spring onion, red chilli and sesame seeds.
Tips: Freezing the tofu will give it a spongy texture and help it to absorb as much flavour as possible. First remove it from its packaging and freeze it inside an airtight container. Then defrost it over a cooling rack (this can take 2-4 hours).